About Advance Memphis
Advance Memphis was founded in 1999 ( see History) to bring about economic revitalization in Memphis, Tennessee. Specifically, we focus on the 38126 zip code area of South Memphis, which includes and surrounds the Cleaborn/Foote public housing developments.
INTERESTED IN VISITING ADVANCE?
For more information about visiting Advance Memphis, check out our Ministry Tours page.
The mission of Advance Memphis is to serve adults in the Cleaborn/Foote community of inner city Memphis by empowering residents to acquire knowledge, resources, and skills to be economically self-sufficient through the gospel of Jesus Christ.
To see the Cleaborn and Foote neighborhood transformed into a revitalized community through the empowerment of local adults.
We believe that adults can be empowered to change their lives and their community. Advance Memphis provides Biblically based programs that bring HOPE, KNOWLEDGE, RESOURCES, and SKILLS to the neighborhood. The residents of the neighborhood then have the tools they need to affect change.
MORE ABOUT THE NEEDS OF THE COMMUNITY
• 38126 was the third poorest zip code in the nation in 1999.
• 70.7% of residents are unemployed or no longer in the labor force.
• 58.2% of households are without a car.
• 47.6% of residents have less than a high school degree.
HOW OUR PROGRAMS WORK
Our programs focus on reaching the Memphis urban community by empowering residents of Cleaborn/Foote Homes to recognize their value as children of the Father and use the strength of that realization to create their own resources and improve their own community. Through the following Biblically based programs, Advance Memphis strives to provide HOPE, KNOWLEDGE, RESOURCES and SKILLS:
• Soft skills job training through Jobs for Life class.
• Economic literacy and personal finance training through Financial Freedom.
• Job placement through our Employment Specialist and relationships with business partners.
• Mentoring relationships.
• On-site work experience through our Outsourcing Program.
• Off-site work experience and job placement through our Staffing Service.
• GED tutoring.
• IDA accounts, allowing residents to earn matching dollars in savings accounts.
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP
Programs don't change lives. God changes lives through relationships. Our staff can't develop relationships with each student and graduate--we need your help. Please go to our Get Involved page and find out more about how to be a part of the Advance Memphis team.
Advance Memphis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.